Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review: If You Give A Mouse A Cookie

Thursday was my last day of actual teaching during my student teaching time and the last day of our kindergarten author study of Laura Numeroff! Graduation is on Mother's Day! This year has gone by so fast!

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Illustrated by Felicia Bond

In this circular story of cause and effect, a mouse is given a cookie, which leads to him wanting milk and a straw and then a napkin. Each thing he gets or does causes something else to happen until he wants to hang a drawing on the refrigerator and that reminds him of the milk and then the cookie all over again!

This book is the first in the If You Give A... series by Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond. Other books in this series include If You Give A Pig A Pancake, If You Give A Cat A Cupcake, and If You Give A Moose A Muffin. These four books together comprised the author study that I did with my students this week. We were able to work on a variety of skills relating to these books. We worked on cause and effect, of course, as well as compound words. We also looked at how our selected Laura Numeroff books were the same and different. The students came up with some great ideas too! One little girl said the books were similar because all the main characters were mammals! We had just learned about mammals a few weeks before so that was so exciting to hear.

The illustrator, Felicia Bond, is the illustrator for the entire "If You Give A..." series. She's also the illustrator of many other children's books. The illustrations in this book at not full page spreads, but they are not boxed either. I think this makes the book flow more because they're not boxed onto one page. Many of the sentences stretch onto more than one page as well, so this works well.

I thought this series was a great series to use for my first kindergarten author study. We incorporated a lot of great writing and creativity into our activities. Please check out the FREE activities I created to use in this unit at my TpT store. Included in the pack I made are writing activities, sequencing pictures, compound word work, and math activities that incorporate tallying and graphing.


Many activities we did came from Mrs. Wills Kindergarten including the graphic organizer below that we created as a class!


We also made adorable cats inspired by Mrs. Saylor's Log to go with If You Give A Cat A Cupcake. The kids loved putting all the cat parts together and each one was unique!

I really enjoyed teaching this unit with my students and I hope you can find some of the activities I created useful! Three more days of student teaching! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment