Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Review: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Well hello, it's almost Christmas already! This semester has been crazy busy, but I finally read a new book and had time to write about it. Enjoy! :)

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

This book is the first book published by C.S. Lewis in the Chronicles of Narnia book series, but the second book when they are put in chronological order.

In this book, four young children are sent to live with a professor in a big house after they are sent away from London at the beginning of WWII. The children spend a lot of time exploring the house and playing games to pass the time. Lucy, the youngest sibling, climbs into a magical wardrobe that takes her to the magical world of Narnia. When she returns, Peter, Susan, and Edmund don't believe anything that she says. Edmund eventually makes his way into Narnia as well. When a tour group of the professor's big house is making its way to where the children are playing, they all hide in the wardrobe and reach the magical world of Narnia.

The children find out about how evil the White Witch is, who calls herself the Queen of Narnia. She cast a spell on the land of Narnia so that it is always winter, but never Christmas. They also learn about Aslan, the Great Lion who is needed to help the children take down the White Witch. The children meet many other helpful creatures while they explore the forests of Narnia.

I remember reading this book when I was in fourth grade and I don't remember enjoying it that much. Reading it now though, I felt like the book was actually really short. I expected a lot more plot details, I guess. The children all got to Narnia fairly quickly and once they were there, the book just kept going, but it wasn't exactly that adventurous and suspenseful. The first time I read it, I also didn't have any idea about all the Christian themes throughout the story, mostly surrounding Aslan's character. I think reading it this time it was very obvious, however, I don't think other children would pick up on that if they were in fourth grade, so I still think it's a very appropriate book for children to read, regardless of their beliefs. Ultimately, I guess that should really be up to the parents to decide, but I think it's ok!

I did like this book a lot more reading it now than I did before. I might like to read the rest of the series sometime when I have some free time. Although I am a little confused about the series because I'm pretty sure most of the other books don't feature Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, but they were the main characters in this book. The other books in the series are:

The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

I would recommend this book for other children to read. My Reading Methods course colleagues and I read this book as an assignment where we are blogging with a fourth grade class in Indiana. Both the students in my class and in the fourth grade class have really enjoyed the book and have enjoyed talking about it with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment