Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Review: My Teacher for President

My Teacher for President by Kay Winters
Illustrated by Denise Brunkus

This book starts out with a letter to the press:
Dear Channel 39,
I saw on TV that elections are coming. At school we have been learning about the president's job. My teacher would be just right! Let me know what you think.
What follows is a cute little story about why a student thinks his teacher would be a good president. The duties that the president has are depicted in a "teacher way." The little boy says that she would be a good president because she's already used to people her following her all the time and the illustration shows her playing follow the leader with the students and the other page shows her as the president, being followed by the Secret Service and the press. She would make a good president because she goes to a lot of meetings. She would make a good president because when she walks in a room, people pay attention!

Then the book ends with the end of the little boy's letter to the press, which is so cute!
Love, Oliver
P.S. Just make sure she doesn't leave before the end of the school year.
It's very cute to see this student interpret the duties and responsibilities of the President of the United States as he sees in his teacher. I'm using this book for my Social Studies Methods course when a group of us teach a lesson on the 2012 Presidential Election for a kindergarten class. I'll also share that lesson when I have it completed too! So check back later :) We're going to use this book to start a discussion of the various roles of the president. It's relatable for the students because they all obviously have a teacher and maybe they can see these traits in her too!

I really liked the illustrations in this book by Denise Brunkus. Her illustrations depicted the teacher doing her presidential role, like having meetings with student groups, parents, and other teachers on the left page. On the right page, it shows her in a meeting that the president would attend would a lot of different people. Denise Brunkus is also the illustrator of the book series Junie B. Jones, which I reviewed Junie B. Jones Is A Party Animal earlier on my blog!

There are so many cool activities for using with this book specifically or just when teaching about elections. Below are some other great books we were looking at using when we were told we would be teaching this lesson. Check some of them out too!


I really like the idea of having students write about what they would do or change if they were president. My kindergarteners would not be able to do the writing, but they could brainstorm good ideas or draw pictures. Older students would definitely be able to write some good things though.

Overall, I thought this book was really cute. I hadn't heard of it until another person in my group's Cooperating Teacher let her borrow this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment