Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Review: Kindergarten Rocks!

In honor of my placement for the 2012-2013 school year in a kindergarten classroom, I've decided to read some kindergarten books! I'm so excited to start working with my cooperating teacher and her kindergarten class!

Kindergarten Rocks! by Katie Davis

Dexter is so excited to start his new year of school in kindergarten because his sister, Jessie, can tell him all about it. He is not scared at all! But his little stuffed dog Rufus is terrified. What if Dexter gets lost? What if his teacher is mean?

With Rufus, Dexter is able to express all his fears about going to kindergarten without anyone knowing he's the one who's scared!

When Dexter gets to school on his first day, Rufus is still a little scared. But Dexter has a great day! He reads books, builds towers, goes to the library, he played with Play-Doh, and writes letters. Dexter is having so much fun that he forgets where he left Rufus! (And Rufus was always afraid of getting lost..) Luckily Dexter finds Rufus sitting on top of the huge tower he built. Dexter goes home from school saying, "Kindergarten ROCKS!"

I think this is a great book for children who are going into kindergarten to read prior to school starting. They can see that other children are scared of school starting too. But then they'll see that kindergarten is actually really fun! There's a lot to learn, but it will be fun too. There are a lot of books for pre-kindergarteners about what the first day of school will be like and this seems to me to be an excellent one that includes humor and a happy ending.

The artwork in this book was created by the author, Katie Davis, but it is attributed to her children. All of the artwork looks like crayon to me, but I'm not positive. I think the artwork looks appropriate for the age level of the children who will be reading it. Some of the pages are full spread pictures, but many of them are framed.

I really enjoyed reading this book and I think children who are about to go into kindergarten would enjoy it too. It would help relieve their stress about starting school without having to say that they themselves are scared.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book! Makes me want to read it!!

    ReplyDelete