Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: Socks

Socks by Beverly Cleary
Illustrated by Tracy Dockray

This is the story of Socks. He is a little grey kitten with white feet. He gets adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Bricker and they love him so much. Socks gets so much attention and he always gets to sit on all of Mrs. Bricker's lap. Socks starts to notice that he is getting less and less of her lap though... because Mrs. Bricker is pregnant! They bring their new baby home and Socks is jealous of all the attention this "new pet" gets. Will Socks be able to handle having a new baby in the house?

I thought this book had some really funny parts since it was from a cat's perspective.
The Brickers would have to work harder before Socks would forgive them. Owners must be disciplined. If they really wanted to be forgiven, they would have to tempt him with a snack from the refrigerator (p. 27). 
That is so funny! Cats are just like that. They have that exact attitude and I love how Socks thinks about that!

I also found it so funny when cousin Mike was at the house and he was making meowing and barking noises. Socks was so afraid! I used to do this to my cats and it was so much fun to see them look around for where the other kitty was. I always wished I knew what I was actually saying to them though. If you have kitties at home, check out the video below and see what they do when they hear strange meowing!

Bobber and me in FL
Socks was first published in 1973. That was almost 40 years ago! Check out some of the different book covers Socks has had over the years. When I was in elementary school, I created my own book cover for this book and I entered it into a contest at our school library. Somehow I won and they put the book cover I made on the book and displayed it in the library! (I'm not sure how that would ever happen because I'm a terrible artist now and I don't think I would have been any better back then....) I based my book cover on my kitty at the time, Bobber (the super cute kitty to the left!!!!). He was a tuxedo kitten, so he looked like he had socks on too. I also put a little sock on top of his head. I wish I had a picture of it now!


I just found out about Socks Clinton, the first cat when Bill Clinton was President. And wasn't he just a cutie! (Socks, not Bill!). He looks similar to my first kitty. :) AND there is a book about him... Socks Goes to Washington: The Diary of America's First Cat by Michael O'Donoghue. Also, Hilary wrote a book called Dear Socks, Dear Buddy: Kids' Letters to the First Pets which looks like it would be cute. I definitely had no idea there were all these books out there though!
Socks Clinton, First Cat - 1993-2001

This is getting a little ridiculous, but here is a book about Obama's dog, Bo, America's Commander in Leash by Naren Aryal. One reviewer said: "I love the picture of Bo riding with his head out the window of the helicopter." (I don't specifically support any of these books, I've never read them, but they do look cute!)


12 comments:

  1. I just could not leave your site before suggesting that I actually loved the usual info a
    person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back incessantly in
    order to inspect new posts

    my web-site ... workouts for vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's
    both equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. I'm very happy that I came across this during my search
    for something relating to this.

    Also visit my page: debt councelling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It
    truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back
    and help others like you helped me.

    my weblog ... sbdcdev.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have saved it for later!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog: exercises to increase vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  5. After checking out a handful of the blog posts on your web site,
    I seriously appreciate your technique of writing a blog.
    I saved as a favorite it to my bookmark website list and
    will be checking back in the near future. Please visit my web site as well and let me
    know how you feel.

    Here is my webpage - http://www.unisoncreations.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've learn this publish and if I may I desire to suggest
    you some attention-grabbing things or tips. Maybe you could write
    next articles relating to this article. I desire to learn
    more things about it!

    Also visit my webpage workouts to improve vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Neat post. There's an issue together with your web site in internet explorer, could test this? IE nonetheless is the market leader and a big component of people will miss your wonderful writing because of this problem.

    Here is my web-site: theuniversethewars.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great site you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any message boards that cover the
    same topics discussed here? I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

    my web blog professionrated.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i
    came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to improve my web site!
    I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    Feel free to visit my website; hair styling Products

    ReplyDelete
  10. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be just what I'm looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?

    I wouldn't mind writing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome blog!

    my blog ... blonde hairstyles []

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful information I was looking for this info for my mission.

    Feel free to surf to my web site: pips 4 idiots robot ()

    ReplyDelete